Reconstruction of North Avenue Bridge over Chicago River's North Branch
Owner: Chicago Department of Transportation;
Location: Chicago, IL
IEI provided lead field inspection services for the first hybrid suspension/cable-stay bridge in Chicago. IEI's responsibilities included inspection of the day-to-day field operations, layout, construction, and payment for the removal of the existing bascule bridge superstructure as well as construction of the new post tension bridge deck.
The new bridge replaces the original "Chicago-style" bascule bridge built in 1907 and doubles the current traffic capacity by providing two lanes in each direction.